From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Barry Beattie
Sent: Wednesday, 30 August 2006 10:10 AM
To: cfaussie@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cfaussie] Why buy into CF?

please forgive me if this comes across as trolling but I'm running out of
ammo here in trying to keep the CF flag flying

here's the question: Why Buy into CF?

because of rapid development?
 - NOPE!: not compared against RubyOnRails, it seems. It's true against
Java/JSP development or ASP.NET/C# but CF seems to be no longer the fastest
pocket-rocket.

because of built-in flash remoting, making it the most cost-effective way of
supporting AMF3 for Flex2?
 - NOPE!: "How much does WebORB for Rails cost?.. WebORB for Rails is an
open source project. It is available free of charge under the GNU General
Public License"
http://www.themidnightcoders.com/weborb/rubyonrails/faq.htm#howmuch
(FYI: WebOrb is a company picking up where PHPAMF left off...)

it has features like CFDOCUMENT? Verity?
 - NOPE!: some ppl (G'day Gareth!) found limitations with CFDocument real
fast and switched to using the latest iText libraries natively.
Ditto with Verity, replaced with Lucerne.

CFREPORT?
... dunno, could never fly that as a solution. too limiting, no interest.
FlashForms?
... no call for them really, especially now that Flex2 is out Gateways?
... could never float this as something meaningful. Either the systems were
standard, not enterprise - or - the enterprise boxes were stuck on CF6.1 and
it's not enough reason to upgrade.

it's got a large, active, supportive community?
... I'd say yes compared to Java and .NET... but not against the
evangellical RonR world, who seems to gain the strength of 10 because their
platform is opensource. ... and everything they touch seems to turn to
opensource....

So, keeping in mind CF8 in development...

... what could possibly entice ppl to buy into CF, either from scratch
- or - upgrading from CF6.1?

this is a serious ask of, not why CF people are where they are now, but how
they can justify traveling down the CF road in the future.

(maybe I'm gowing weary of the luddites here that won't upgrade the
dwindling number of servers to CF7, the undermining pro-RubyOnRails camp
here ... and that opensource WebOrb AMF3 news.. that's the last [EMAIL
PROTECTED]@
straw...)