the Microsoft fanboy I work with puts the blame straight back onto the
spec. His argument is that the spec is so vague in how it's to be
implemented that the inconsistencies arise from different browser
makers implementing the spec in different ways.

me? I'm not caring too much. I'm into web applications where there is
some control over what the client has to use - and I'd rather it be
something like Flex and bypass the whole sorry mess.