On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Andrew Myers <am2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with what you say about us being the ones "in the trenches".  Like I
> said in an earlier post, I sometimes have to try and justify even within my
> organisation the use of CF, and it's not always easy - I would really
> benefit from some kind of "support resources" to help me with this.  Perhaps
> they are out there and I just haven't found them.

Have you seen the ColdFusion Evangelism Kit that Adobe put out? That's
a pretty good pitch to managers. Adobe have also published some more
detailed comparisons between technologies showing the benefits of CFML
- which is also summarized in the evangelism kit so it depends how
much detail you want.

> A lot of the anti CF people also don't like it because it's a proprietary
> technology.  This is where I really think things like Railo can really help
> the uptake of CF.

We are certainly seeing some people moving to Railo rather than
abandoning CFML altogether because they have some sort of mandate for
open source. It's obviously better to keep them in the CFML community
than lose them to some other technology. We also see people coming in
via jboss.org who are open source folks who wouldn't have considered
CFML before. And, yes, realistically, there are going to be people who
choose Railo purely on price because they don't want to spend money.
We see folks who are running older versions of ColdFusion who didn't
pay maintenance and now won't pay for upgrades - Railo provides them
an option to modernize their code.

Naturally we prefer folks who choose Railo for reasons other than
price since our business model is about support and consulting - and
folks who won't pay Adobe aren't likely to pay us either :)
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood