On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Andrew Myers <am2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not saying it applies in this case, I think there is a belief that if
> developers for a particular technology are scarce they cost more, if they're
> plentiful they cost less (in theory).  .NET has appealed to some I've worked
> for because they can always tells us they are one day going to send all our
> work offshore.

I can confirm that at least here in the US (certainly on the West
Coast but almost certainly elsewhere too), CFers earn a lot more than
PHPers. Dealing with various web agencies - and sometimes with clients
directly - I've heard that over and over again. The problem is that to
folks who are not well informed about PHP vs CFML, they view them both
as "web scripting languages" and thus the $$ difference is
significant.

CFML's biggest problem is that it doesn't really sell itself - folks
have to be educated as to why it's better than PHP (or ASP.NET) in
terms of productivity. And, to be honest, that's something that falls
squarely on the shoulders of the community - because we're the ones
out in the trenches. What we need to be careful about is a closed mind
- "CFML is best!" - without good arguments to back that up.

As for cross-training developers, I'll definitely speak in favor of
that since that's how I came to CFML, from a background of Java / C++,
along with me team (back at Macromedia). Definitely easy to pick up
CFML when you know other languages and these days, with the extended
cfscript support, it's a relatively easy transition.

FWIW, Railo sees a steady stream of new-to-CFML folks downloading the
server. A good percentage come to us from jboss.org - Java developers
looking for a more effective scripting language language for the JVM
(and CFML definitely kicks JSP / JSF ass) - and we see quite a few
.NET developers as well. We don't have more detailed info because
that's based on the voluntary survey form on the download page.
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood