“ 13 layers of managers.”

The explanation of their survival is, I believe, their huge profit margins.

I still recall when they got a contract to electronically handle the Toronto
Stock Exchange trading system where they charged $18 per transaction.  Their
cost of course was just a few electrons per transaction.

They were in effect a monopoly at the time.  And monopolies always waste huge
quantities of resources, accordingly reducing everone’s living standards.

Rodney.