On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:32:43 -0600 Timm Murray <hardburn at runbox.com>
writes:

> On Saturday 12 January 2002 22:57, you wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:27:01 -0600 Mark J Roberts <mjr at znex.org>
> writes:
> > > Your "my right to [do some relatively unusual thing] is being
> > > trampled by legislation that is necessary to enforce copyright"
> > > argument is stupid, and you know it.
> >
> > Again the Flame War starter strikes with another blast of his
> incredible
> > weapon of doom. <BOOOOM>
>
> Actually, this time MJR is not just trolling, he's being serious.
> He is
> correct, in that my argument doesn't go the whole way into
> supporting the
> idealogy of free speech on the net; it only mentions a practical
> value on the
> cited speech.  While I am still more an idealist than pragmatist, I
> learned
> from the Lessig Slashdot interview that there is value in being able
> to put
> arguments in a more practical light, being that most people think
> along
> practical arguments.  Therefore, in this case I am using a practical
> argument
> which favors a certain idealogy

But, he isn't correct in saying that your right to do something
relatively unusual is being trampled.  It used to be unusual to even HAVE
a personal computer.  Now people are copying thier favorite music from
CDs to MP3 players that they take along while they jog or sit on a beach
or something.  The right to make copies of your own things, when you want
to, is not some totaly alien concept, nor should it be trampled on by
anyone, especialy not the Music or Software Industries.  I do agree that
an argument should be practical, and that the reasoning be easily
understood by others.  But I don't think software or music copying is in
any way unusual these days.

> - --
> Fly Windows NT:
> All the passengers carry their seats out onto the tarmac, placing
> the chairs
> in the outline of a plane.  They all sit down, flap their arms and
> make jet
> swooshing sounds as if they are flying.

Heehe!! :)  Is this supposed to be a joke about Windows NT's inabillity
to function the way it was intended or something?  I know windows OSes
have been notoriously unstable and insecure and a whole bunch of other
stuff too.  Any anti-M$ or anti-Windows joke is probably gonna be very
funny to me. :)