> On Sun, 13 Jan 2002 13:32:43 -0600 Timm Murray <hardburn at runbox.com>
> writes:
> >
> > On Saturday 12 January 2002 22:57, you wrote:
> > >
> > > Again the Flame War starter strikes with another blast of his
> > incredible
> > > weapon of doom. <BOOOOM>
> >
> > Actually, this time MJR is not just trolling, he's being serious.
> > He is
> > correct, in that my argument doesn't go the whole way into
> > supporting the
> > idealogy of free speech on the net; it only mentions a practical
> > value on the
> > cited speech.  While I am still more an idealist than pragmatist, I
> > learned
> > from the Lessig Slashdot interview that there is value in being able
> > to put
> > arguments in a more practical light, being that most people think
> > along
> > practical arguments.  Therefore, in this case I am using a practical
> > argument
> > which favors a certain idealogy
>
> But, he isn't correct in saying that your right to do something
> relatively unusual is being trampled.
> It used to be unusual to even HAVE
> a personal computer.

No, he is quite correct in that.  Just because it might be common in the future
doesn't
make it common right now.

> Now people are copying thier favorite music from
> CDs to MP3 players that they take along while they jog or sit on a beach
> or something.  The right to make copies of your own things, when you want
> to, is not some totaly alien concept, nor should it be trampled on by
> anyone, especialy not the Music or Software Industries.  I do agree that
> an argument should be practical, and that the reasoning be easily
> understood by others.

You misunderstand.  I do not think much in practical terms.  I think in more
abstract
terms of morality and freedom.  I am mearly trying to phrase things in a more
practical light because I know the rest of the world doesn't agree with me
(which, I
suppose, is a very practical idea).

> But I don't think software or music copying is in
> any way unusual these days.
>

> > - --
> > Fly Windows NT:
> > All the passengers carry their seats out onto the tarmac, placing
> > the chairs
> > in the outline of a plane.  They all sit down, flap their arms and
> > make jet
> > swooshing sounds as if they are flying.
>
> Heehe!! :)  Is this supposed to be a joke about Windows NT's inabillity
> to function the way it was intended or something?  I know windows OSes
> have been notoriously unstable and insecure and a whole bunch of other
> stuff too.  Any anti-M$ or anti-Windows joke is probably gonna be very
> funny to me. :)

That's part of my new e-mail .sig.  You'll see a new one every time.  About
half of
that database is slamming the X windowing system, and about half of the rest
slam Microsoft.  The remainder is mostly random quotes about *nix and Computer
Sci.
I got most of them off gopher://gopher.quux.org.