From: K. Kaya
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 12:43 PM
Subject: [Chevelle-List] Test starting engine

Getting ready to pull the small block that came in my ‘64 when I purchased it a few months ago.  I’m going for a BB swap and want to start cleaning/painting/prepping the engine bay for the 396.

Before I pull it, I want to see if the motor will start.  Previous owner claimed it would, but it had no carb, so I couldn’t prove otherwise.  Besides, I knew I was going to pull it  and didn’t care if it ran or not.   I’ve since put a 2bbl carb on that I had sitting around the garage.

Well, now I’m curious to see if it will run, and want to get some advice from the List regarding hooking up a fuel source to the motor to feed it some juice.  The fuel tank is out of the car and being dipped, and the fuel line from the fuel pump to the gas tank is a rusty mess.

Can I just run a rubber line to the fuel pump inlet from a 2 gallon jerry can to test start the motor?  How stupid would this be?

Thanks,
Kurt