I seriously doubt that that's the problem. That's about the last thing I would suspect.

Honestly, it sounds like

A) Bad battery. Have it load tested.

B) No power and/or no ground - aka bad battery cables

Headlights not working certainly has nothing to do w/ the ignition switch.

If you want to test the theory, disconnect the "S" wire from your starter and replace it with a length of 14ga wire. Turn the key on and touch the new wire to the positive battery terminal. This bypasses the ignition & neutral safety switches and sends power directly to the solenoid. I'll bet it doesn't make your headlights work or your car start though.

Get rid of those removable battery cable ends and get new cables with factory ends. I'll just about guarantee you that it's either that or the battery itself.

John Nasta

Quoting Chuck Kranz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

 Replace the ignition/start switch.
-Chuck - 65 Chevelle 327 4 speed

John Nasta wrote:
Don't just buy terminals. Get new cables. You'll be glad you did. You may want to convert to the Ford solenoid as well while you have it apart.

How's the battery? The headlights not working suggests that the problem is not the starter.

Good luck,
John Nasta

Quoting Josh Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hey all here is a good one. Not long after I got the 71 the car wouldn't start I just figured it was the fact the positive end of the soleniod was loose or the crappy battery terminals, which I am not ruling out.... yet. Anyway today I jerked the starter off and fixed the soleniod. I tried the key and it bumped over for a second then quit. Then I tried the lights, nothing. So I thought bad connection, I wiggled the wires and checked the fuses and nothing. So tomorrow I'm off to buy some terminals. Any other ideas in case that don't work? Anyway thanks in advance.

Josh Campbell
 66 SS 396 (Black on the rotisseree, 1st car never part with it)
 66 SS 396 (Red got it on a trade I only wanted the steering wheel)
87 Monte Carlo SS (The modern Chevelle especially when you add the right stuff)
 71 Malibu (Something new to blow my money on)