I am not the most learned Churchillian by any means, and certainly not the
wisest or most scholarly person to ever read the works about the portly old
gent. But I have managed my way through many different works which describe him
and his actions (all of which rest on my personal bookshelves), and I can
honestly say that I have read none better than Sir Martin's. Perhaps this is
due to the totality of his (and Randolph's) effort. Still, I think it to be the
best I have seen. To me, it is like eating breakfast. What are eggs without the
bacon and toast? In this case, it is all there, including the jam and tea. A
work this complete, whatever the arguments in re: a given topic or event, at
least presents ALL the evidence needed for a fair assessment, particularly
regarding the Dardanelles. How that evidence is seen by the reader, an the
opinion to which it leads, is out of the hands of the author.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android