I think our thanks are to you for bringing the topic up.  The discussion has
been (in my sage and well-considered opinion) most fruitful and I have
appreciated all the insights.  Well played, gentlemen!
Jonathan Hayes

      From: Grimsdyke <lincoln.ja...@gmail.com>
 To: ChurchillChat <churchillchat@googlegroups.com>
 Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:37 PM
 Subject: [ChurchillChat] Re: Churchill’s treatment at the hands of ‘Churchill
Scholars’

>From theamount of interest it has sparked, this seems to be indeed a worthy
>topic; I’mnow glad I began it. These are great comments so far, and their
>greatestfascination for me is to see how and in what form many people approach
>the lifeof this great man. I hope the others on this forum will forgive me my
>habit ofdipping in only on weekends, because to my great regret weekdays
>deprive me of eventhe smallest chance to indulge in Churchillian and other
>delightful fare.  It’s quiteright, I think, to say that history is rarely so
>simple as to be reducible to ‘superherothwarted by dullards’ narratives. But
>Churchill (I cannot think of anyone lesssuited to being pictured as an
>unnaturally muscled individual with sloping brow,flashing teeth and coloured
>cape) at his energetic best was much moreimpressive than an ordinary
>superhero, and thwarted he certainly was – if one would read the
>numerousaccounts of the campaign with all its details exposed. As I said
>before, manyaccounts are equally instructive, but I find that among the most
>readable andconsecutive of these are the accounts by William Manchester (The
>Last Lion), Violet Bonham Carter (Winston Churchill as I knew him) andMichael
>Shelden (Young Titan).Michael Shelden’s book is particularly interesting, and
>illuminating far beyondeven some of the best biographies of Churchill that I
>have read (and I haveread more than 30), and meticulously researched. I
>shouldn’t spoil it for thosewho would like to buy the book – which I can’t
>recommend too highly; but pages306 to 322 cover the Dardanelles imbroglio with
>zest and superlative perspicuity,and you couldn’t possibly rise from reading
>the book without realising how muchthere was about Churchill that one hadn’t
>known before.  I think I’minclined to agree with you, Chris Bell; 3 minutes is
>a suspiciously short timeto allot to something as climactic in the Churchill
>record as the Dardanelles,and Martin Gilbert was hardly the man to overlook
>this.  I don’t thinkI could disagree much with Jonathan, although I have grave
>reservations about ‘notbeing able to fault Kitchener’ for his part in
>depriving the campaign of troops,and supplying too little too late. Michael
>Shelden is brilliant on this, as isWilliam Manchester.  Violet Bonham Carter,
>who had the almostunedited confidence of her father, Prime Minister Asquith,
>expresses aperspective deeper and more intimate and often more direct than any
>of the others, although her objectivity is somewhat vitiated by her loyalty to
>Asquith - as concerns the special sphere in which the Prime Minister's
>treatment of Winston bears on these events when things began to go wrong.
>Also, his almost treacherous lack of decisiveness is given scant exposure by
>his daughter, who not surprisingly obfuscates it. For all that, hers is a
>tremendously valuable book; superbly written, and readable in the extreme.
> [...]
Grimsdyke
On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 3:48:01 PM UTC+13, Grimsdyke wrote:
In general, bone fide Churchill scholars have been fairlyconsistent in the way
they handle his record, and what comes down to us is theimage of a fiercely
pugnacious, infinitely creative man of genius, with an incandescentlybrilliant
mind who made both mistakes and their decided opposite, but whosemotives
throughout were gallant, noble, magnanimous ……and a host of otheradjectives,
none of which have any truck with mean-spiritedness, littleness, orspite or
malevolence, or any of those characteristics that belong to lessermen. However,
I have been puzzled beyond words by the treatment of certainparts of his record
at the hands of some who had always seemed to be among themost discerning of
‘Churchill Scholars’.  A few years ago the BBC put out a 4-episode programme
onChurchill which was written and presented by Martin Gilbert: it is available
onYouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=oVQg_ehSu6A From 21:39 to 24:39
on the first episode, he deals with WinstonChurchill's involvement with the
Dardanelles campaign. These 3 minutes seemedto me, as I’m sure they would seem
to anybody with a sound reading of the intricaciesof that episode in World War
I, a travesty consisting of half-truths anddeliberate omissions of crucial
facts to achieve a result that places the blameunfairly and almost slanderously
on Churchill.  We all know, of course, that serious researchers from
AlanMoorhead to Basil Liddell Hart and numerous other biographers have found
thatChurchill had little to do with the failures of the campaign, and in fact
hadbeen made the scapegoat of a debacle that owed everything to the blunders
andmismanagement of others (Kitchener and Fisher particularly, and of
courseAsquith at a political level) and little, if at all, to any actual
mistakes onChurchill's part. In fact the origin of the idea wasn't actually
his: it wasHankey's first, and then enthusiastically taken up by a host of
others –including Fisher, Gray, Asquith, and even Kitchener, and later Lloyd
Georgewith some initial misgivings. Subsequently, Churchill was exonerated by
theDardanelles Commission, although that Commission was, “struck by the
atmosphereof vagueness and want of precision which seems to have characterised
theproceedings of the War Council”. Thus, Alan Moorehead: “in1925, when Roger
Keyes was in command of the Mediterranean fleet, he’s steamedthrough the
Dardanelles and, according to Aspinall, who was with him, he couldhardly speak
for emotion. ‘My God’, he said at last, ‘it would have been eveneasier than I
thought; we simply couldn’t have failed…… And because we didn’ttry, another
million lives were thrown away and the war went on for another 3years.’ Thus,
Clement Attlee: “inthe whole of the First World War, there was only one great
strategic idea, andthat was Winston’s”. Attlee had been a soldier at Gallipoli.
Thus, Alastair Cook (from Keynote Speech, Churchill SocietyInternational
Conference, New Hampshire, 27 August 1988): “Kitchener had seemed an
Eisenhower-Montgomery-Nimitz, all rolled intoone. He wasn’t, but we thought he
was. We didn’t know then that his power wasdeclining drastically, or that he
was more than anyone morally responsible forthe failure of the Dardanelles: he
would not support the original expedition –would not produce the manpower or
the materiel. But as you may have noticed,the deaths of a famous leader,
especially by assassination, confers a halo.Kitchener was drowned and he got
the halo. Churchill got the blame.” However, all this (and countless other
testimonials to themistakes and blunders made by other men, but not Churchill,
and the difficulties ‘onthe ground’ caused by the fatal delays during that
campaign) is seemingly completelyignored by the writer and presenter, Martin
Gilbert. The icing on the cake is Gilbert’sinclusion of statements by AJ
Silvester (principal private secretary to LloydGeorge....... as if he would be
impartial!) and Jimmy Page (British Army,Dardanelles 1915) and we hear them
speak words that have virtually no otherpurpose than to drive home the message
that it was Churchill’s vaultingambition that made him not only careless of
lives, but completely bullheadedand arrogant, and that he bore unmistakably the
responsibility for the wholefailure. As I say above, this is scarcely
believable from such a man as SirMartin (Winston may well intone from the
grave, “et tu Brute?”) — whichmakes me ask myself if this is in fact the result
of some ‘creative editing’ bythe BBC – who, with their traditional hostility to
Churchill (which seems tohave begun with John Reith), may well have omitted
several minutes ofcounterbalancing argument and statement that might have been
included in theoriginal footing by Sir Martin. I’d be grateful if anybody on
this forum canthrow some light on this.