On Monday August 6 2007 5:39:30 pm mark carter wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 17:29 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Monday August 6 2007 4:19:54 pm mark carter wrote:
> > > In my travels I came across Open Movie Editor. There's a
> > > demo
> >
> > I'm curious - did you try this software before posting the
> > above? I am asking because I did...
>
> I hadn't tried it, but I intend to. I take it you're not
> impressed.

well, I was taken aback by your formulation "cinelerra beater"

I'm no coder, so I can't judge the accomplishments of the
software from that standpoint - I'm sure what he's doing is not
easy.

I got it up and running with not too much effort on a Fedora 7 P4
2.8 GHz w/ 1 GB ram box -- of a large assortment of media I have
here on this machine, the only thing it could load and play was
a dvx file; it didn't like any .mpg .avi or .wmv files (not that
I would expect the latter, nor the .avi for that matter,
depending on what was inside it), but the mpg files come from a
broadcast news source, and play on almost anything. So, that was
a surprise. Not much in the way of other features, either. The
dvx file played only very haltingly, jerking forward every few
frames.

People are using Cinelerra in production environments and making
movies with it -- I think OMM has a long way to go to beat
Cinelerra.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA