On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 17:10 +1200, David McNab wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 12:03 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:

> > > "Cinelerra is not intended for consumers. [...]
> >
> >   I consider that a bug, and I believe that some of the frustration
> > that brought Cinelerra-CV into existance came from that statement.

I tend to agree. I'm not a pro, I'm just a guy who wants to put together
some clips and stuff for YouTube. My first impression was that "not
intended for consumers" was a nice way of saying "bug-ridden segfaulting
bucket-o-bytes".

Cinelerra is hard to grasp intuitively first off (not intended as a
slight), but combined with the whole segfaulting stuff, people are just
going to say "WTF" and move on to something else. I don't mean to be
harsh or poo-poo the excellent work that's been put into Cinelerra (I
thank the developers for so kindly offering their labours to the
comnunity) - but that's the way most people are going to see it.

> I started out as a 'consumer' a couple of weeks ago as I was looking for
> a Linux video editor.

I, too, am very new to it, and jsut beginning to "get" it. I just
discovered subtitling - no more separate programs for me in future. ;)

A thought: when you load a file in with iMovie, it actually "imports" it
- converting it into its own format (quicktime, or whatever). Now, that
got me to thinking - if Cinelerra followed the same idea, that might be
quite good. It could have its own format. That format would be woefully
inefficient (hopefully not outrageously inefficient) as a storage
medium, but it would be excellent for what Cinelerra needs. You would
then have a level of separation between "foreign file formats" and
internal respresentation. You are then paving the way for being able to
test formats in isolation. And ... not that I know what I'm talking
about ... instead of using threads, Cinelerra could start a process that
does the conversion. If the user gets bored half way through, he clicks
the button and the process gets killed.