On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 12:57 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:53:28 +0200, Gordon JC Pearce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 10:31 +0100, mark carter wrote:
> >
> >> Cinelerra is hard to grasp intuitively first off (not intended as a
> >> slight), but combined with the whole segfaulting stuff, people are just
> >
> > I haven't had a segfault in about a year of extensive Cinelerra use.
> > Either you're doing something very strange or I've been very lucky.

I tried to import an OGG file. It crashes on a fairly regular basis.
Luckily, I was able to determine one cause, and submit a change to mob.

I think you don't get segfaults because you don't do the things that
cause segfaults. You  presumably have a good feel for the weaknesses in
Cinelerra, and know how to work around them. People new to it are
unaware of these weaknesses.

I would rather say to somebody "look, cinelerra is very flakey at files
importation, and is prone to crash. The best file format to use is XYZ.
If you have an ABC file format, your best bet is to convert it to XYZ
using
        ffmpeg -i ABC bits XYZ
etc."

That way, users know what they're dealing with. I don't want to go
overboard on documentation, I want to help the user steer a path through
all the chaos.

>   Let's face it... Even if a majority of the users say "works for me",
> a few percents being in a world of hurt will cause endless bitching.
>
>   "Works for me" promotes inaction.  It is a statement telling that
> you have no itch to scratch.  Let me quote what Andraz Tori said to
> me a couple of years ago: "We need more developers to start using
> Cinelerra, and get so _irritated_ that they will work on it."

And it needs to be in a form that people can hack. Now OK, with a
project as large as Cinelerra it's always going to be hard to get some
kind of grip on it - and I'm impressed with people that are able to get
to grips with the code and make a contribution.

I had a play around looking for the problems in MPEG-4 importation, and
I couldn't see any place that consistently caused problems. It's very
very difficult when one can't even isolate the place that the problem is
occurring. It could be that I'm not a very good programmer, of course,
or that I'm still raw with the code.

> > Please don't just sit there bitching on "oooh it crashes,it's buggy, it
> > segfaults" without filing a bug.

One problem can be that bug reports can be useful - but often they just
sit there. I have reported bugs to the Ubuntu project, for instance, but
I sometimes wonder what the point is. I don't know how many they're up
to right now - it's a lot. Sorting through them all looks to be an
overwhelming challenge for them.