From: Bradley A. Hare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>Working minimal functionality that can be maintained.  I might be
> wrong, others
> seem to have been more successful at this than I have,

I just want to use Cinelerra for more casual amateur use, rather than
professional.
I've found Cinelerra rather unintuitive, I've done things like resort to Kino
to make clips, and then paste them in Cinelerra.
I had a play with OME, and I found that you can slide the clips along the
timeline. Cinelerra seems much more finicky.

> but I just can't
> see trying
> to edit even a simple half hour program with Cinelerra.

I thought I was the only one ;)

>  Looking at the code, it
> is not clear that fixes would require anything less than major surgery.

I've taken to hacking away a bit at the code - and alas I broke my version. One
thing that leaps out is all those case statements, esp. wrt colour models. I
may be being too niaive, but I'd really like to see some kind of method of
getting a grip on that. I looked at the flip plugin, and again, we see loads of
switching based on the colour model. I wondered if there was a way of unifying
the models. And I know we've been down this road before, and my views have been
dismissed, but things like OpenGL don't help. They just pile complexity on top
of complexity. The plugins even get in on the act. It's just too complicated. I
really do wonder if the code base is 4 times larger than it really needs to be.

> Minimal functionality means three point editing, with basic transitions,
> of the most
> popular formats raw, DV and HDV (each of these has a specification
> although HDV

I think this would go a long long way to reducing programming complexity. And
what people really want is a predictable and robust workflow, even if it is (a
little) round the houses: use ffmpeg to convert to DV, work your magic with
Cinelerra, and then convert back to another format ready to upload to YouTube
or whatever.

I suspect that, long term, Cinelerra is dead. Kino, Open Movie Editor, and the
others ones, will no doubt steal its crown, and in fairly short order. It's the
slow dinosaurs versus the agile mammals.

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/