On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:03:34 Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

> Sorry, my Sony FX7 HDV camcorder doesn't have a S-video input. By the
> way, I was more interested to try a possibly MPEG-2 "Studio Profile" ADC
> with color sampling 4:2:2, instead of a standard DV 4:2:0.

As a reminder, I did search for S-video to MPEG-2/-4 encoder ADVC
options, while everybody here looks to have talked about the traditional
DV25 encoding instead. Good enough and simple or why?

Isn't it possible to use dvgrab to import mpeg files other than hdv m2t
(beside dv files)?
Is the practical Firewire import to PC harddisk store limited to the
datarate 25 Mbps (that does stem from the dv-tape limits)?

As a comparision, my 10 years old or so legacy Videonix MX1 digital
video mixer with S-video IN and OUT and built-in dual-field TBC, works
internally with 8bit 4:2.2 sampling ("broadcast" quality).

My simple reasoning and understanding is that it will be wise to keep
and continue this quality level when digitizing my analog video for
editing purpose and archieving on optical BD media.

While 4:2:0 sampling (as on DVD and PAL DV25) usual is said to be
adequate for end-user distribution and home TV viewing, it is also said
to be inadequate in postproduction. Digital video effects and operations
such as color corrections and croma keying require preservation of more
details. Therefore the 4:2:2 format is preferred. Maintaining a high
bitrate in the editing process minimize compression loss. Material which
is archieved needs to be stored at highest possible quality (30-50 Mbps
and short GOPS), to retain quality sufficient for multiple generations
of postproductions and distributions.

Standard MPEG-2 [EMAIL PROTECTED] profile uses just 4:2:0 sampling and max
bitrate
15 Mbps. The [EMAIL PROTECTED] (studio)profile uses 4:2:2 sampling up to 50
Mbps.
Some prosumer editing systems like Casablanca Avio uses this profile. As
far as I understand broadcasting and studios also have used just the
MPEG-2 [EMAIL PROTECTED], when they digitized their legacy analog video.

But so far I haven't succeeded to find any ADVC that apply analog to
MPEG-2 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (only the standard [EMAIL PROTECTED] with lower
bitrate). Suggestions?

Reference links:
http://www.netmcmarine.co.uk/resources/mpeg2_broadcast.pdf
http://www.media-visions.com/itv-compression.html