Kurt Georg Hooss wrote:
Very good idea in general.
But practically spoken, who is going to start & maintain it?
:-)
That's a very good question ;)

I think it would be good if there is a close connection to the 'devs' mailinglist and the 'users' mailinglist.

1) Start a consortium, call it whatever is good, for example linuxvideo.org. And state a simple mission, like:
http://linuxaudio.org/policy .

2) search for one, two or three people who can manage this a bit.

3) Search for hosting. Maybe this could be a department of a university or school for videoproduction for example.

4) Make a (simple) website.

5) Start two mailinglists, one for devs (which exist already for a big part), one for users.

And then (for future):

6) let apps like CinCV, kdenlive, kino, avidemux etc. who can support the mission become members of the consortium.

7) start a linux video announcement mailinglist

7) let users make a wiki

8) let users of different apps share video's and help each other creating good stuff.

And if it is possible

9) organize conferences for devs and users.

It's also a good thing to have apps with specific mailinglist, but I
think it would be much easier for users if there is also a mailinglist
to discuss 'general' stuff... It's been said several times in this
discussing, one task one application. That means you need at least two
or three or more applications to do a full job. I asked on the CinCV
also questions about devede, avidemux and qdvdauthor. This also makes a
linux video user mailinglist very reasonable imho. I would improve linux
video a lot and such a mailinglists is pretty easy to start and moderate
imho.

Regards,