My use of the word 'grounding' was ill-advised.  I was using the term
loosely and probably confusingly to refer to the low voltage DC currents
induced in the firewire cable when only partially connected.   I obviously
have only a vague notion of the firewire connection pinouts, but the
firewire cable is the culprit in this fairly well-known problem, and has
nothing to do with the AC current which 99 times out of 100 is essentially
electrically isolated from the firewire by transformer and not in direct
contact with any electronics by electronic standards
(see http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=7501   and the link
referenced in the last post on this URL)

That said, I have many times 'gotten away with' hot plugging my camera, but
I don't do it any more after reading about other people having problems.
Apparently even turning things off isn't enough.  I'll let the IEEE people
explain why... ;-)

Dell