thak you guys
but to clear the matters a little bit.
i work in a hacklab, where we tape all our lectures - ~500 videos in little less than 5 years of shooting them.

and we've been frying our cameras like mad - a couple a year. at first we were instructed not to hotplug - we stopped doing it. then we were told to completely shut down the camera and remove the power source whe connecting - we did. then we were told that it might be bad power wiring so we've put camera on a battery - firewire cable is the only possible source of power surge now. and the last time the camera got fried during work - it was grabing video and after a bit more than 39 minutes it just died.

- now the "killer" signal can only come over firewire
- its source might still be the cabling, because we didn't put the computer on a UPS - but on the other hand a power surge in cabling should first kill the PSU and then the camera, but computer works as stable as possible
- so the only posible source is bad FW card or mother board
- and a bunch of friends have told me that i should use a mac because it has better harware than the "taiwanese" el cheapo card i'm using.

but if there is anyone who can say "i'm using a mac and my camera got fired too", i might drop that consideration :) - otherwise I have a mac at hand but now for a couple of months there will be no camera with firewire :/

Dell Anderson pravi:
*Some time ago at least there was an issue with certain less expensive,
chain-computer store brand firewire cables that would allow an a momentary
incorrect voltage to be seen by the camera during hot plug in.  Something to
do with improper ground or whatever.  That is why the recommendation is not
to hot swap.   Turn off power, connect or disconnect cameras etc.  Then turn
on the power.  I know, a nuisance.   I have not heard of this problem with
high quality firewire cables, but it is still possible I suppose,

Dell*