Hmmm kinda a little lost on the TCO logic here ..
 , A local TFTP server would be cheaper than the double  flash cost and
would give you a place to store configs  also.]

If the flash hoses you still can use the router and in some of the smaller
machines it's single bank flash , so if the flash is hosed  without a tftp
server setup you have no backup at all
Maybe with your field experience you can help me: sometimes we put twice
the amount of flash memory in order to be able to download a second version
of the IOS remotely (for managed routers) so that we do not have ot send an
engineer on site for maintenance, which is unpractical and not
cost-effective. You also have to count with future  needs.

Oz
http://www.mcseco-op.com/Cheap_Cisco_stuff.htm