>The pre-sales engineer's response was:
>
>The 4000 series is not a "backbone" switch according to Cisco...
>
>-Brad

Let me begin by quoting then-President Theodore Roosevelt about
then-Associate Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes:
    "I could carve out of a banana a man with more backbone than that!"
Not exactly sure what the quote has to do with routing and switching,
but it's nice to get attention in a discussion of backbones.

People lose sight of the purpose of "backbone" or "core" in
hierarchical models.  While the core MAY indeed aggregate bandwidth
and need the highest-speed routers/switches, that isn't necessarily
true.

Especially in environments when most of the traffic is local (think
80/20), the greatest capacity may need to be at the distribution
tier.  I can think of one client where I improved performance by
swapping the very underutilized 7000 "core" routers with 4500
"distribution routers."  On further measurement, I found the 4500's
could be replaced by 2500's.  At most, we only had a pair of T1's
linking sites in the core.

Backbones tend to attract strange terminology. "Collapsed backbone"
always sounds to me as more of an orthopedic emergency than a
desirable condition, but it seems to have become a term that will not
go away.  In such cases, yes, the greatest bandwidth will be in the
core, and the backbone router/switch will need the greatest power.

Remember that collapsed backbones may very well describe an
environment where the servers are primarily in a server room distant
to the clients, even though the servers may be on the same VLAN.
VLAN-aware NICs can be very useful but don't always fit the basic
hierarchical model.

Bottom line:  the pre-sales engineer is oversimplifying at best.
Yes, some of the Cisco materials do distinguish among "backbone" and
"edge" environments, but those materials tend to assume collapsed
backbones with substantial bandwidth requirements.