wow!  That's going to take someone with far more design experience than I
have.  You're right, those SLAs have you backed into a corner,
technologically.  Hopefully, someone on the list might be able to offer
better advice than I can.

Good luck!

John

>  Hi John, thanks for the reply.
>
>  Yes Howard is very correct, and a little more info here is required.
>
>  Here is the deal...
>
>  1) My company is in the startup phases of a datacenter that will have a
>  varitity of services, ISP, ASP, Outsourcing, distributed servers, etc.
Think
>  of exodus on a local scale.
>
>  2) We are waiting on USWest to deliver a OC3 with SST SHARPS which will
be
>  upgraded to a full SONET ring further down the road. Until then we are
still
>  on a type 2 network, i.e. copper. We are able to live with the copper
until
>  the self healing redundant fiber is hot.
>
>  3) We have cold stand by routers/switches to roll for the HSRP
deployment.
>  We maintain a 24x7x4 SmartNet contract on all mission critcal equipment.
>
>  4) We will have in place for many of our customers a SLA that has a
99.999%
>  uptime. This works out to about 1 minute of down time per month. There
are
>  some things that we just can not control, i.e. local loops and the like.
But
> [...]
nightmare
>  > at worst.  How much is it worth to your company?
>  >
>  > If your system goes down for a short period, are you losing a lot of
>  money?
>  > Are you in e-commerce?  Can you handle being down for a few hours?  If
so,
>  > then get the service contract.  If you absolutely cannot handle being
down
>  > for more than a very brief period, then make sure the higher-ups
>  understand
>  > that this type of redundancy *might* get very expensive very quickly.
>  >
>  > Then again, it all depends.  :-)
>  >
>  > >  Hi
>  > >
>  > >  It is not so much the out lying sites I am worried about, I have a
dial
>  > >  backup (ISDN BRI to PRI) now. There are only a couple of sites that
>  fall
>  > >  under the HSRP mandate.
>  > >
>  > >  But I have a single 4500 doing the host part (i.e. the hub in a hub
and
>  > >  spoke design) of the FR network. So what I need to do is have the
4500
>  > >  backed by another 4500 running HSRP and have all interface serial
and
>  > >  ethernet failover.
>  > >
>  > >  Thanks for the reply!
>  > >  --
>  > >  John Hardman, MCSE+I, CCNA
>  > >
>  > >  ""Odell, Jeff"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>  > >  CD9DBAE1E066D311A8AE00805FA7F57C01768629@NTMAIL03">news:CD9DBAE1E066D311A8AE00805FA7F57C01768629@NTMAIL03...
>  > >  > John,
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Depending on your bandwidth needs you might want to consider ISDN.
>  My
>  > >  > company uses BRI ISDN  to back up each frame relay connection.
>  Fairly
>  > >  > inexpensive and with a few lines in your router config, can
>  > automatically
>  > >  > come up when the frame relay goes down.  I would recommend a 800
>  series
>  > >  > router for relatively low traffic sites (I use them for small
offices
>  > of
>  > >  up
>  > >  > to 30 people) to back up a 2600 running the frame connection.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > All in all, it is a relatively cheap and functional solution.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > If you share some more info like your bandwidth requirements, etc.
>  am
>  > >  sure
>  > >  > others will chime in with other recommendations.
HSRP
>  > >  support.
>  > >  > Not a problem on the LAN side, and I have worked out the point to
>  point
>  > >  line
>  > >  > issues by using channelized lines and creating two serial lines.
But
http://www.groupstudy.com/list/guide.html
http://www.groupstudy.com