have not read the whole thread  but from my meager understanding using HSRP
you need a live T  to go with it ..
To have the  instant failover..
 I will be playing with this in a couple of weeks cause I have exaclty the
same problem I have to resolve for a client..
just waiting for the other T  to comes in..
  But I am trying to figure out a way how to utilise both T   rather than
having one just sitting there..
  i am not 100 %  sure  but i thought I heard the PM  say that UUNET give us
a sweet deal for the second T
As they understand only one will be sucking up the BW at any given point in
time..
maybe we can change that..
  i am very tired as I just got in but please let me know how you make out
or email me your fone #  and we can yak about it a little in the morning
Oz
http://www.mcseco-op.com/helpfull_links.htm