From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Howard C. Berkowitz
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 7:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Am I over my head guys? [7:69746]

At 6:57 PM +0000 5/29/03, Peter van Oene wrote:

>I get through most days very much like a duck; calm in appearance, but
>scrambling like crazy underneath to keep things afloat.

Peter, you are causing metaphors to loop in the network of my brain.

When I was a Boy Scout practicing silent movement for my First Class
test, I used to practice on a flock of ducks at the local pond. My
test of success was to crawl (usually through the mud and less
desirable things) until I could goose a duck.

A goosed duck is _not_ calm.

On the other hand, one of my mantras comes from the emergency
instructions at the Marriott conference center in Lisle or
Naperville, IL:

    "In case of emergency, remain clam."

Now, an alternative metaphor is the swan, which looks even more calm
and elegant, but will REALLY get you with the beak if you irritate it.

>This is not a bad
>thing really, it just means that you may have to do a bit more research
>here and there.  At the end of the day, so long as you don't
misrepresent
>yourself, or answer questions when you aren't sure of the correct
answer,
>you'll do fine.

It's funny. Early in my career, I'd go for jobs where I felt
confident that I could learn what I needed as I went along.  Now, my
jobs tend to be things where a basic assumption is that I'll have to
do research -- sometimes searching for things, and sometimes true
"lab" research where there's no particular answer.

At the moment, I'm doing as much medical informatics as routing &
switching, and the research has to include both networking and
medicine. It's interesting to jump back and forth, and even have
cross-fertilization.