B Rudy wrote:

> Hey guys, I just got an offer to become a 2nd senior network
> engineer for this company in Orange Country.  Great News i know!!
>
> Dilemma:  I am a CCNP but have no local Area Nework
> Experience.  Going to be workin with Catalyst 6500 switches.
> Also i have about 2 yrs working with cisco equipment, however,
> dont feel i am ready for a senior title and duties.  Also
> working with cisco routers.
>
> What do you guys think i should do?
>
> 1.  Take the job and see how it works out?  Maybe mess up their
> network and look real dumb and unknowledgable on some
> troubleshooting.  risked getting fired?

You have to look dumb to grow. Don't worry about what others think of you
anyway. It's not something you can control. Work hard and you'll prove
yourself even if you do make mistakes at first.

> 2.  Let the job go, and watch a great opp float away?

Are you kidding? Don't let the opportunity float away. The only reason I
could think of for not taking it is if you know that you have personal
reasons (family, hobby, etc.) that are going to mean you can't give this job
your full attention, and I mean full. You'll probably be working more than
40 hours a week to start.

You asked "the guys" for their perspective, but I'm sure you don't mind a
gal's perspective either. ;-) To be honest, I'm surprised to see a guy
expressing a lack of confidence. That's so rare. :-) We gals are eaten up by
it and we express it more than we should in the workplace, I think.

I see it as a very healthy sign that you were able to express it (at least
to us). On the job, I would recommend that you don't express your lack of
confidence too explicitly, though, but do ask for help when you need it or
you won't learn. And don't worry if you look dumb for a while. It will take
time, but pretty soon you will have credibility with your co-workers because
you're going to work hard and do a great job, I predict!

Good luck and congratulations!

Priscilla