John Neiberger wrote:

> I'm concerned about the output errors.  Collisions are not
> considered output
> errors; they're to be expected with half duplex ethernet.  So,
> you do really
> have a problem of some variety that needs to be investigated.

Thanks for that info, John. I wasn't sure if output errors counted
collisions or not.

I'm thinking hardware problem on the router maybe? Hardware problem on the
wireless bridge's Ethernet interface? Bad cable, as you mentioned?

Time to swap 'til you drop.

I found this at Cisco's site:

Output errors
Number of times that the receiver hardware was unable to hand received data
to a hardware buffer because the input rate exceeded the receiver's ability
to handle the data.

URL is:

ww.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/ics/ics25/icstg25/tsether2.htm

A hardware problem could cause that, though I still wonder if it might just
be too much load. High load could explain output errors (assuming that
explanation is right, which is a lot to assume :-) and collisions. Of
coures, a hardware problem could explain it too.

One thing that is suspicious, though, is that deferrals are zero, while
collisions aren't. If the network is really just busy with a high load in a
healthy way, then there would probably be some deferrals too. I didn't want
to mention this before because I hadn't found a good explanation for them,
but I found one. Cisco says this:

The deferred counter counts the number of times the interface has tried to
send a frame, but found the carrier busy at the first attempt (Carrier
Sense). This does not constitute a problem, and is part of normal Ethernet
operation.

URL for that is:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/eth_collisions.html

Why would a network have lots of collisions but no cases where a packet had
to be deferred? This may be more evidence of a hardware problem, rather than
a loading problem.

It could also be evidence of the other side actually using full duplex
despite its manual configuration. It sends whenever it wants, including
while the other side is sending.

Are you sure you can't just use full duplex? It would sure be cleaner! Even
a healthy shared Ethernet is not a good medium for voice due to its inherent
variable delay.

Priscilla