Yep! Sounds like you've gotten yourself into the root account on an AIX box.
>From what you've said, sounds like this box is running AIX 4.3.x (IBM'x
implementation of UNIX).  Also 'aixterm' is the xterm (X-windows teminal) under
X-windows. For more info, check out the following sites;

www.ugu.org (or search for the Unix Guru web site)
www.ibm.com (Search for RS/6000 or AIX)
comp.os.aix (News group from your favorite news reader)

Good luck, and happy AIXing.....;-)