I wouldn't waste my time with mastering windows if you have no
interest in it, or anything else you're not interested in, for that
matter. Myself, I don't do windows, My opinion of microsoft products
is that they are the worst consumer products of the modern age. You
are a step ahead of other newbies with your love for the command line,
most people would rather point and click. Learn the fundamentals of
networking, if possible, take cisco's ICRC class, great course. Use
you Linux box to provide various network services and solve problems,
build as many as you can to represent a complex network. Keep up with
mailing lists like this and hit the newsgroups for more, make friends
by helping others solve they're networking problems. Before you know
it you'll be working with experienced people and finding more
opportunities.
I know many top level network engineers who couldn't find the start
menu on a windows box, so the answer is no, you don't need micro$oft
experience to to succeed. There is enough work out there right now so
you can tell a potential employer "no thanks" if they demand you to
have NT experience for whatever reason. Of course, it doesn't hurt to
know your way around an operating system that is found almost
everywhere, just don't cry when you find yourself staring at blue
screens and up all night tracking down bug-fixes to cryptic error
messages that reference code that is locked up tight in the Washington
woods -here's one that was sent to me in an FYI from my NT admin last
week before he had to patch a server;
A fatal MTA database server error was encountered. A bad list member
length is on object 06000046. File offset: 3134. Attribute ID: 79.
Referenced object 00000000 (0 => N/A). Referenced object error: 0. [DB
Server DISP:ROUTER 8 42] (16)

What the hell does that mean?

Erik Mintz
Director, IT operations
Crosslinks systems
1 Silicon alley plaza
New York, NY  10038
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
:-)
"They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass
destruction."
- -Janet Reno, US Attorney General, 2/27/98