At 3:44 PM +0000 7/13/03, Hemingway wrote:
>""Jason Viera""  wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>  The individuals writing the book probably aren't privy to any exam
content
>>  changes that are around the corner unless they are a part of the CCIE
>team,
>>  another misconception is that Cisco Press  is in close contact with
>>  technology changes that Cisco Systems is actually working on. What many
>>  people don't understand is that it takes a while to write and publish a
>book
>>  in a cost effective manner,
>
>I don't know about the back end production part ( final copy, typesetting,
>printing, distribution )

3-6 months, depending on the publisher and priority.  Of course,
distribution gets variable with the priorities of the booksellers.

There may be several months of negotiation before the contract and
outline are approved.

I've written books in anywhere between 3 and 12 months.

>One should be reading the command references, reading the config quides, and
>concentrating on fundamentals. Any routing protocol over NMBA ( with all
>possible combinations for the links ), ISDN backup options, authentication
>anyplace it is possible, redistribution between any two porotocols ( with
>all possible mechanisms for doing so ). The presence of the 3550's has not
>changed any of the fundamentals one needs to master.
>
>An important Lab skill is finding things on the CD.
>
>Much as I may or may not like it intellectually, practically speaking, there
>is little need to spend time reading RFC's in prep for the lab. I've been
>there enough to state categorically that I have seen nothing that made me
>wish I spent more time with the RFC's and plenty to make me wish I'd spent
>more time with Cisco's docs and with configuring things based on the topics
>stated above.

I might suggest there's benefit in what I might call reading "beyond"
the RFCs, or spending less effort on the protocol specifications and
more on the working group mailing list and on the RFCs that introduce
extensions to deal with hard problems for the regular protocol.  The
RIP RFC does have an excellent discussion of split horizon and poison
reverse. Harder to read, but there, is a great deal of the underlying
principles of redistribution in OSPF.  I only really understood BGP
after getting the sense of RPSL. RFC1812, the Router Requirements
Document, gives lots of answers.  Our work on BGP performance,
hopefully on its way to getting an RFC number, clarifies ambiguous
definitions in 1771
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-conterm-05.txt)
Draft 21 (last I looked) of the revised 1771 is far more accurate and
informative.