At 2:25 AM +0000 7/14/03, Jason Viera wrote:
>What bothers me is that Cisco's implementation of a protocol doesn't always
>match the RFC.

Part of the problem is the RFC sometimes doesn't match ANYONE's
implementation.  That's not to say that there weren't interoperable
implementations at the time the RFC was approved at various levels,
but there are many cases where industry practice (multivendor) has
drifted from the original document.  BGP-4 is an excellent example --
RFC1771 ranges from having outright errors in the state machines, to
not following the generally accepted BGP selection rules. Let's put
it this way -- the revision is now at Draft 21, and probably getting
very close to final.  I would recommend anyone who wants to read IETF
BGP material to read the latest I-D, not 1771.