I have seen this problem before with frame. LMI being local to the frame
switch means the interface does not go down and backups routes do not kick
in. One way to overcome this is to monitor layer 2 by using the
“frame-relay end-to-end keepalive mode bidirectional” command
within a map class on both sides. This command sends a keepalive every 15
seconds, if 3 are missed the interface will change to down/down even though
the interface is receiving LMI from the frame switch. I hope this helps.

Mike