most networks (small and medium size business/networks) use NT.  So mcse is good
to have, especially if your new in the field. In the MCSE course they'll tell u
a  bit about networking, ie packets, frame headers and such....put it this way,
if u dident know that sorta stuff, and when u take the ICND course....you'll get
completely blown away, b/c ICND crams everything in your head for 1 week
straight....and by mid 3rd day,,,,your brain....and i dont care if you were
working as a  mr. big shot A+ techy from some computer shop for 5
years!!!..lol.....you'll still get blown away!!..so yay MCSE go for it!!!..=)

p.s., im not really a BIG Microsuck....i mean Microsoft fan....but hey...its
graphic friendly with users!

my 1.4242343 cents

Deepak Sharma
MCSE  CCNA  ACT  A+
Computer Dude =b
Ceridian Canada

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

> >SNIP
> >" everyone seemed to at least have an MCSE before attempting the cisco
> >route. Is this highly essential to succeed? "
> >SNIP
>
> Let's see...I can set the IP parameters on a Windows host. I have a
> reasonable understanding of the traffic effects.  System
> administration on Windows? Nahhh.
>
> UNIX, MacOS, IBM MVS, VMS, sure, as well as assorted real-time code.
> Really Obscure Things like IBSYS, EXEC 8, IBM 1130 Disk Monitor,
> AHS-11, IBM 360 DOS, PRIMOS, etc....yep.
>
> Somehow, I have managed to eke out a networking existence.
>

> >No, I dont believe it is highly essential... however, I believe most that
> >working in the Networking Infrastructure area have been brought up through
> >the LAN/Server Administration area.
> >
> >MCSEs should have a better understanding of the associated Windows
> >protocols. The same is true CNEs, they should have a better understanding of
> >the Novell networking model and protocols.
> >
> >It boils down to experiance.... not letters or certifications.  Just like
> >anything else, you can work through the Cisco certifications with dedication
> >and commitment, but experience will make this much easier to relate to.
> >
> >Ed
> >
> >Edward Moss
> >CCNP, CCDP, CNE

          \\|//