Here is what I think is the trick to understand Halabi:

It is NOT for entry level people nor is it for people who use it as a
study book for any exam.

That is why the book is called "Internet Routing Architectures" not "BGP
cram session book for the CCXX exams"......The word Architectures should
mean something, right?

I have found out that the book really makes sense after you work with BGP
in your job on a day-to-day basis. Atleast, it did for me and now I have
read it many times and still refer to it once in a while, when I try to
help some customers with their BGP configs and issues. Initially, I found
it hard to comprehend so I do feel other's pain :-(

Yes, please do not be so harsh about any author. Where in the book does
it say that it should be used a study guide for any exam, even the CCIE
is NOT mentioned. So how can you be so harsh about it. It is indeed
called the Bible for a reason. And same of his OSPF design guide.

I have used Caslow, Stewart, Halabi, Doyle and Parkhurst and  best of all
Cisco's BGP case studies. They are all good books/materials and should be
used accordingly.

As I always tell people, BGP is NOT for the faint-hearted :-)

And, yes, the BGP beta exam was one of the most difficult exams that I
took but managed to get a 857.

Peace.   No flames please !!

Just my 2 cents!!

CN

>From: "John Neiberger" >Reply-To: "John Neiberger" >To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] >Subject: Re: Cisco BGP Exam [7:73516] >Date: Wed, 6
Aug 2003 01:59:34 GMT > >Hmm...that's interesting. I found Halabit to be
very easy to understand, but >that was after reading Stewart. Stewart's
book is incredibly easy to >understand, especially considering how short
it is. Quite concise, yet >readable. > >I have Doyle Vol. II but I
stopped studying for attempt #2 before I got to >the BGP section. I
should read through it as a refresher and to compare it >to Halabi. >
From: dre [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > Sent: Wednesday, August 06,
2003 10:55 AM > > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > Subject: Re: Cisco BGP
Exam [7:73516] > > > > > > ""juniper"" wrote in message ... > > > > Can
anyone recommend a good book for the BGP exam > > > > > > I personally
despise Halabi's "authortative, the BGP-bible" IRA > > > book. It is
awful. It is the sole reason nobody understands BGP. > > > It's
confusing, boring, and downright awful to read and understand > > > such
simple concepts. > > > > > > I passed the Cisco BGP exam (took the beta),
and I did not even > > > open Halabi or Stewart (I do like Stewart, but
for this exam, his > > > information is not really on-topic). > > > > > >
Normally, I'd say read the RFC's, but they are also not going to > > >
help you on this exam. > > > > > > I used > > > a) the outline provided
by Cisco > > > b) Jeff Doyle's TCP/IP Routing Volume II (first 318 pages)
misconception > > > that Volume II was not as good as Volume I reminds me
of 14 > > > year old pimply-faced kids arguing about Star Wars vs. Empire
> > > or Matrix 1 vs. Matrix: Reloaded. These are all good movies... > >
> however, Star Wars: Episode I and II are more remniscient of > > >
Halabi....IMO. > > > > > > -dre > > > **Please support GroupStudy by
purchasing from the GroupStudy Store: > > > http://shop.groupstudy.com >
http://www.groupstudy.com/list/cisco.html > > > > > >