What is dry copper? Dry copper refers to twisted pairs that are not
connected to a telephone switch, battery or anything else between customer
locations. They are merely cross-connected in between. The term "dry"
actually originated over 100 years ago, when batteries were first used to
power telephones. A dry pair had no power applied to it from the CO and a
"wet" one did. Some folks have been able to implement xDSL via dry copper
connection between two sites. By simply placing xDSL modems at each end of
the dry copper connection, a xDSL may be possible with little intervention
from the perspective of the CO. However, this is a risky method of deploying
xDSL, especially asymmetrical versions. The problems occur when there is
interference between the dry copper xDSL lines and other lines nearby, such
as T1 and POTS. Typically dry copper has been used for low speed alarm
circuits. By implementing xDSL service over dry copper, you run the risk of
future problems. You may disrupt service at the CO and hence, the CO's
customers. Unless you have specifically contracted for this method of xDSL
service in advance, beware

This electronic message together with any attachments is confidential. If
you receive it in error: (i) you must not use, disclose, copy or retain
it; (ii) please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then
delete the emails. Views expressed in this email may not be those of the
Airways Corporation of New Zealand Limited