""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Uh, what is dry copper? Is it analogous to "dark fiber?"

as a matter of fact, yes.

copper from your friendly telco with no dial tone. a local loop with no
signaling equipoment attached. alarm companies use it extensively, place
their own signal on it, and thwart the burglars

I have heard tell of folks using dry pair to create private point to point
DSL. I don't personally know anyone who has done so.

HTH