We did it several years ago using some 3Com gear (still have it boxed up
somewhere). We had an office site two blocks from the CO. Loop length wasn't
an issue. We gave them lots of business so they gave us dry pair at a
nominal cost (IIRC less than $5 per month per line). The problem is when a
circuit stops working - the only guarantee is continuity - not like a
"conditioned" line. After one lightning storm we never got one site back -
and the problem was in the telco plant.
After a CLEC started selling DSL it was impossible to get dry pair. I would
expect that to be the norm today.