At 11:34 AM -0400 9/10/03, Reimer, Fred wrote:
>Yes, but the CCIE labs are supposed to be for ISP level engineers, who
>almost certainly won't be using default routes most of the time.  It should
>be assumed that by the time you get to the CCIE level you have much
>experience in default routing.

First, ISP level engineers are going to configure default routes for
customers, and, indeed, there often are default routes in POPs, or in
smaller ISPs.

Second, the combination of static default routes with multiple
administrative distances can get quite complex.

Third, I am more bothered by the lack of static routes than defaults.
Complex static routes, with alternatives, are common for traffic
engineering. Blackhole static routes are extensively used.