Reimer, Fred wrote:

> I've always liked hex myself.  A hex mask of FF.FF.F8.00 can be
> written as
> FFFFF800 and still mean the same thing.  You obviously can't do
> that with
> 255.255.128.0 (255.255.128.0 != 2,552,551,280).  While binary
> works the same
> way as hex in this manner, it is much to long for my tastes.
> Plus, hex is
> used a lot in programming languages when using values in
> bitmasks, so I'm
> more familiar with it.  Also, there are only 5 hex numbers that
> you need to
> memorize for masks, F 0 8 C and E.

And binary is going to be pretty hard to deal with when we get to 128-bit
IPv6 addresses!?

Dotted decimal notation is really an awful thing. I agree with Howard that
it confuses people and should be taught after the binary representation of
addresses (and maybe hex?) Not only does dotted decimal notation confuse
people with addresses, but it gets them thinking 8 bits at a time, when
programming languages, protocol analyzers, debuggers, etc. think 4 bits at a
time.

Priscilla