From: Howard C. Berkowitz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 11:32 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Please Help - CIDR - How the bits work [7:75050]

At 10:36 PM +0000 9/9/03, Dom wrote:
>Fred, check out the archives for Howard's piece on the difference
>between 'Rocket Science' and 'BGP' when at NASA.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Dom Stocqueler
>SysDom Technologies
>Visit our website - www.sysdom.org

Seriously, I've fought a battle for many years with Cisco Training. I
believe the fundamental problem they _create_ is insisting on
teaching classful and dotted decimal notation first.

When I've given private classes -- ICRC, the older RSC, etc. -- I
always began discussing addressing in binary, got people used to the
idea of prefix length, then introduced dotted decimal as a means of
representation, and then introduced classful addressing as a historic
concept.  Students were always able to go right into classless
routing without any trouble.

There are some nice examples in RFC 1878.  RFCs 1517-1520 give the
main background, although there are some earlier papers on
"supernetting".

With all mercenary disclaimers, I also recommend my book, _Designing
Addressing Architectures for Routing and Switching_, and my recent
IPv4/IPv6 tutorial on Certification Zone.