If we consider static route , yes it will
load-balance;
( share count =1 )

router#sh run | include ip route
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 30.2.0.2
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 40.0.0.2
router#

router#sh ip route 10.0.0.0
Routing entry for 10.0.0.0/8
  Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  * 30.2.0.2
      Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1
    40.0.0.2
      Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

router#

The switchover will happen in some situations .Routes
will only disappear from the routing table if
reachability to 40.0.0.0 or 30.0.0.0 is gone.
So it differs from situation .

In the case you have ;

station1 ----router0===serial===router1----station2
                |                |
                |                |
               --------hub----------

station1 can ping station2 and is loadsharing fine .

If you shutdown the ethernet interface on router1 .
Router0 will still laodbalance between the two routes.
Result that you loose every other ping .

If you shutdown the serial on router1 , then the ping
would still be 100% succesfull . Because the line
protocol will also go down at router0 .

flem

--- "Benny Leong (HTHK - Senior Engineer II -
iServices Development, NNSD)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Ip route 150.10.0.0 255.255.0.0 1.1.1.1
> Ip route 150.10.0.0 255.255.0.0 2.2.2.1
>
> Will these 2 statements :
> 1.    perform load balancing ?
> 2.    if the link to 2nd route fails, will the router
> stop routing the
> traffic through 2.2.2.1 ?
>
> Thanks.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  • Re: ... A. Geoffrey Cauchi
  • RE: ... Yee, Jason
  • RE: ... Yee, Jason
    • ... Atif Awan
  • RE: ... Benny Leong (HTHK - Senior Engineer II - iServices Development, NNSD)
    • ... Atif Awan
  • RE: ... Yee, Jason
    • ... Atif Awan
  • RE: ... Andrew Larkins
  • RE: ... Benny Leong (HTHK - Senior Engineer II - iServices Development, NNSD)
  • Flem