I agree totally, that instructor should have his feet held to the fire.
I just had a bad experience at some training and I hit the roof. The course
outline was not followed and the portions I really needed were just glossed
over because of time restraints and instructor stupidity. The worst part was
that the organization giving the training had internal people in the class.
It was supposed to be a network boot camp to support a Digital TV headend
which included the OSI, TCP/IP, Cisco routers, Unix Administration, and ATM,
all of which are used to support a Digital headend. Of course these recent
collage grads just hired by this organization had no clue so we spent three
days going over the OSI and IP addressing AGAIN AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Best
part the instructor was dead wrong about some major things but was unwilling
to budge when reasoned with. He said that physical addressing does not
happen at the Data-link layer and then used Frame as an example but then
said the data-link handled error-correction and I said not frame-relay, he
didn't get what I was trying to say. I believe on an Ethernet network
physical addressing happens at the data-link layer. I don't think he
understood the concept of the OSI. It is just a MODEL. So this is how it
went for three days, which in the course outline said was to be about 1 and
1/4 days to end at 10:30 am of the second day, not 8 am of the forth day.
Instead of showing us where the app's loaded and how to configure them for
the system and what processes are loaded and why and when they should be
stopped and where the logs were and what they mean, all good stuff for a
Unix admin supporting the DTV platform, the Unix training consisted of CD,
LS and VI again!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH what a moron!!!
I've seen better sales presentations of ATM than his training, unbelievable.
The best part was that I was the only outside customer there and I came with
a solid data background, the internal people, it was the first time through
and they lapped it up like puppies. Nobody talked to me during break cause
they thought I was the bad guy because I could only sit there quietly so
long before I had to call him on his huge errors. Oh another big one was
that he said that OSPF uses STP algorithm and there is a root router. I
tried to reason with him that, that would defeat the purpose of the SPF part
if all routers had to check in with a root, no all routers run their own SPF
tree with themselves as root. I think he was confused with a DR, nothing to
do with each routers path selection just a way of managing the topology
database on multiple access networks (ie. Ethernet). When I tried to explain
this I thought his head was going to pop. Enough for now Thanks for the vent
space. My company paid for this training but I view it as though it is my
money, that is why I have such a good ride here.
Duck