I think he might be looking for a simpler answer. The Data-Link Connection
Identifier (DLCI) refers to a connection between your site and your
provider. There is a connection on each end of the virtual circuit. For
example, if you use Frame Relay to link an office in Paris to an office in
London, there are two connections:

* Paris office to provider in Paris

* London office to provider in London

The connections can have different connection IDs.

In a LAN environment, an analogy would be the connection between an end
node and a router, identified by the MAC addresses of the end node and the
router. When a client on one LAN talks to a server on a different LAN, for
example, there would be at least two data-link connections:

* Client talking to router (identified by client MAC address and router MAC
address)
* Router talking to server (identified by router MAC address and server MAC
address)

That's just an analogy which hopefully helps you understand the WAN concept
of a data-link connection ID.

Priscilla