A lot of the confusion around DLCI's was cleared up for me when I started
configuring routers as frame switches and did frame route statements. Only
needed to do a couple before it sunk through what was happening and how it
worked.

For example, say you have a router acting as a frame switch, and it has four
serial interfaces, each connected to and end router.

S0, s1, s2, and s2 connected respectively to routers r0, r1, r2, and r3

S0 is the hub of a hub and spoke

S0 configuration:
Frame-relay route 16 int s1 225
Frame-relay route 17 int s2 407
Frame-relay route 18 int s3 996

S1 configuration
Frame-relay route 225 int s0 16

S2 configuration
Frame-relay route 407 int s0 17

S3 configuration
Frame-relay route 996 int s0 18

When you issue the command show frame-relay pvc on r0, you will see DLCI's
16,17, and 18
Three VIRTUAL circuits, each having a path on the frame switch  to a
particular interface

The traffic comes into the switch tagged as DLCI 16 goes out of the switch
tagged as DLCI whatever.

The only limitation on DLCI's is that they fall in the range of 16-1005 ( or
so? )  A DLCI of 0 indicates an LMI ANSI frame. A DLCI of 1023 indicates an
LMI CISCO frame. The rest are used by the telco for some nefarious purpose I
have never seen explained anyplace.

Tony, you must have a lot of stuff you can clarify for us router jocks. Keep
telling us the inside stuff from the telco side. I'm something of an old dog
who learned a lot from hard knocks and a lot of time of the telephone asking
the other end to explain things in a way that didn't make my head hurt.
Learned a lot. Can always use a few more bits and pieces.

Chuck