Hhhhmmmmm..... I thought my reply was private.....

Oh well,,,,,,,

What I know about ATM will fill a thimble with room left over for a skein of
yarn :->

Same for gig E

I know there are mathematical calculations for MTU in ethernet, based on
network diameter, and the physics of signal propagation through the wire. So
it may well be that if the only two stations on the wire are directly
connected and just a few feet apart, running full dup, then you can make
adjustments.

I see on my router ( 2501 ) that there is an MTU command under the ethernet
port, with values from 64 through 18000. I get an error when I try to
adjust, with a report that I don't have a 2FE port adapter.

Hmmm...... a quick look around CCO kinda indicates that the FE adapter for
the higher end routers might support a larger MTU.

And yes, while looking through the command reference, I did see MTU sizes
for various media, including ATM at 4470

Learn something every day.

Chuck