there is a "mtu" command.

In a somewhat similar situation - I had built a circuit using lan emulation
that terminated on a bvi on a 7505.

The bvi had an ip address and placed into an OSPF area.

I'm not aware of the defaults with a router that has both ATM and ethernet
but I didn't take notice of the mtu that the bvi had - I assumed that it was
just like an ethernet interface........

On the distant end of the lan emulation was an ordinary router with an
ethernet interface and it was also configured into the OSPF area.

However, OSPF didn't work.  debugging showed that an adjacency wasn't being
formed.

Turning up yet more debugging - finally an error about "mtu size not equal"
was noticed.

sure enough, the bvi had the ATM mtu of 4470..........

using the mtu command on the bvi interface "mtu 1500", the adjacency formed
immediately and all was well.

so, my guess would be that a fast ethernet probably has the same "mtu"
command, try it out.

Kevin Wigle