Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> Some sort of maximum is necessary, of course, in order to assure fairness.
> The myths about the maximum having something to do with making CSMA/CD work
> correctly are inaccurate, (not that anyone said that in this thread). The
> myths are a mistake by analogy. The minimum size frame is necessary for
> CSMA/CD to work correctly.

Totally agree, you simply can't get around (nor should you want to get around) the
minimum packet size because of the whole collision detection (magic 32 bit
time/distance) issue.

But as I've seen the MTU can indeed be set much higher, but relatively few cards/ports
support it.

Gigabit ports and 2FE cards are the only exception I've found so far but the
performance
boost this gives some router to router traffic such as BGP is quite significant.

We have iBGP between GSR's in one area and the convergence and transfer times are
phenomenal.

Darren