Is it just me or is it that Sales engineers at Cisco try to sell stuff that
they don't even know will fit right for the environment at which the Cisco
stuff are to be installed. Take for instance, I invited a Sales engineer to
come over our office this morning showing him what our network looks like.
We have about 170 users connected to HP 4000 Switches. Anyway, this guy
walks in, tells me that "oh, this is not the best solution. The best
solution is to go with a pair of 6500 Catalyst switches for redundancy with
an intergrated router and VLANs blah blah blah".

It seems like he just got off a class about 6500 and he was inspired to sell
it to us using every acronymn he heard at the training class. $12000 MSRP
for a 48 port 10/100 is not exactly a selling point when it comes to
comparing prices with either HP or Foundry. This guy doesn't even know that
6500s aren't normally implemented in the Access Layer unless we have some
spare $100,000 to throw around!

Just because they work for Cisco doesn't mean they're network engineers!
Whew,... that felt good. I needed to vent a little.

Now, I look forward to Monday when I'm supposed to meet with a CCIE who
works for Foundry...

Kenneth