I feel that a CCIE should know everything in his technology specialty (i.e. routed
global networks with enterprise switching) like he ate it for breakfast. For everything
else a CCIE should have a general knowledge and know exactly how and where to find more
information on the subject.

About the tests:  I think they are good, though they could be a bit more in depth
(maybe
more questions on certain topics).  When I took the written the first time I came out
of
it with a headache and a clear path of what I needed to work on.  I'm glad to see that
they are retiring some of the older protocols, but for those that work strictly in the
IP area it can be a burden to learn things we have never touched and don't work with.

-j