Howard:

I agree and disagree.  I think you are right on the money with your
observations, but only as they pertain to the R/S CCIE.  I think Cisco
should (and is beginning to) address the more specialized knowledge areas by
offering multiple certification tracks.  (eg. SNA, ISP, Voice???).  Once
these other tracks really catch hold, I think you will see more people
moving away from the R/S tracks and into the areas of specialized knowledge
and experience required for their particular jobs, as you so deftly stated.

Scott McClure