>We've all seen a number of comments about the CCIE written and the CCIE Lab,
>regarding content. Most of those comments have been negative.
>
>So, what SHOULD be tested? What SHOULD a CCIE know?
>
>Anyone?
>
>Chuck

I'll make a few observations, some of which may be controversial.  I
realize many people look at CCIE as the ultimate, but I can't
consider it such. It is meaningful, but there are lots of jobs that
require more and/or more specialized knowledge and experience.

CCIE (R&S) indicates a solid understanding of routing and switching,
from a deployment and support standpoint, for medium to large
enterprises and small ISPs.

It does not indicate significant competence in:

      -- requirements analysis and large network architecture
      -- product evaluation/selection
      -- global Internet routing
      -- protocol architecture, design, and implementation
      -- formal performance specification, analysis, and tuning; capacity
         planning
      -- security requirements and planning (i.e., why you select which
         IPsec, etc., parameters)
      -- large-scale network management

It appears to be including a good deal of VoIP, but it is not a
general telecom certification.

The basic CCIE shows substantial competence in workgroup protocols,
but not SNA. It considers hosts only in the manner to which they
interface to the routing and switching system.